Each year more than 2.5 million Americans find their way to the iconic 81+ mile Towpath Trail running through the heart of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Whether you are walking, hiking, or running, prepare to enjoy your national park as you witness some of the most scenic views in Ohio!
Check out a great list of trailheads throughout CVNP by visiting the NPS website. You'll find a comprehensive list with trail names, ratings, etc.
Towpath Traveling Tips
- Bring water, snacks, and sunscreen
- Map your journey!
- Note distances between Trailheads - and plan accordingly - especially when bringing along children
- Be aware of weather conditions
- Check for trail closures at www.nps.gov/cuva/parknews/index.htm – trails are sometimes closed following heavy rains
- Boardwalks and wooden sections get slippery when wet or covered with frost. Be especially careful after rainfall or during the early mornings.
- Chilly frost in spring and fall, even a thin layer, can make Towpath boardwalk and other small wooden sections very slippery.
- When visiting a Preserve - from leaves to berries - take only photo souvenirs.
Enhance Your Journey
Questing - Turn your walk into an adventure. Each Quest takes you on a walking journey through an outdoor space with a story to tell. Solve the mystery in the clues to find the box hidden in each Quest. Leave your signature/personal stamp as proof of your sleuthing skills. Learn more about Questing here.
Programming Note: The Cuyahoga Challenge has been temporarily suspended until further notice. We are looking to revamp the Challenge to create a more interactive event that will help raise funds for the 100-plus miles of trails within CVNP. We understand that this news may be disappointing, but we hope that you will continue to enjoy the trails of Cuyahoga Valley National Park this summer.