Photo: Rick McMeechan
Cuyahoga Connections: Trees and Leaves
Welcome to Cuyahoga Connections, Trees and Leaves
Every fall, people are amazed by the color scheme that takes over Cuyahoga Valley National Park. The changing leaves remind us that these trees surrounding us on our favorite trail are living things – they have their own version of breathing, eating and even communicating. Enjoy the activities we’ve outlined below to gain a better understanding of how we impact trees – and how they impact us in return!
Don’t forget to reach out to us with questions, comments or to share your experiences and completed journals by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or tagging #forCVNP on your social media posts!
Written and Illustrated by Britta Teckentrup
In TREE, A Peak Through Picture Book an owl guides young readers through the everchanging seasons from within a nest hole of a tree (and a hole in the book’s cover!) The beautiful, bright illustrations and captivating peak through images offer opportunities to interact with the animals of each season. Be it the young bear cubs of spring, the buzzing bees of summer, or the squirrels storing acorns in the fall, there is something for children to explore on each page. Teaching lessons about both the consistency and everchanging nature of wildlife, this picture book is one worthy of adding to your collection!
Written by Jen Green and Illustrated by Claire McElfatrick
With a mix of real-life images, breath-taking illustrations, and helpful tree maps, The Magic and Mystery of Trees is a fun and captivating non-fiction read suitable for all ages. Have you ever wondered about how trees communicate? Have you heard that trees are able to take care of their families? Did you know trees can help prevent soil erosion? As you flip through each page, you will learn unbe-leaf-able facts about just how mighty and special trees are. Read this for fun on its own or take learning to the next level by getting outside to look and study trees after each section!
Journal About It!
Can you identify the parts of a tree? What would a leaf look like under a microscope? Download this journal we created for you to learn all about trees and leaves! Be sure to share your creations with us by sending photos/answers to email@example.com or posting photos online and tagging us #forCVNP
Time for a Challenge!
Get outside and challenge yourself! Whether you’re exploring the yard around your home or your favorite CVNP trail, be sure to take some time to appreciate the beauty of trees and their leaves!
- Write a poem about how autumn makes you feel or about the way the leaves change colors and share it with us on social media or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ride the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad’s Fall Flyer
- Hike a new or favorite trail in Cuyahoga Valley National Park or a park in your neighborhood to see the fall foliage
- Attend a tree planting in CVNP
- Enjoy a tree scavenger hunt! How many types of trees can you find?
- Show and tell about your favorite tree! Is there a story and a favorite picture of your favorite tree, either in the park, your yard or your neighborhood? We’d love to hear it – send it to us at email@example.com!